tunes.

    I apologize for my absence. After I visited Ohio for some bachelorette/wedding fun (and work) I started my new job! This week was filled with orientation, staff meetings, organizing, curriculum planning, and meeting kids and parents at open house. In addition, I had volleyball practices, scrimmages, and matches. *Sigh*, I'm tired.

    That being said, I'm very excited for the next month of my life. School starts in 5 days and JD and I say "I do" in 35 days!

    Now on to the fun part of this post....
     picture via pinterest
    I absolutely love when the local pop radio station plays what they call "throw back tracks". The songs always take me back to late elementary school and junior high. I smile, remembering great friends and good memories, as I turn up the volume and sing along.

    Today the song was
    Hot in Herre by Nelly. 
    This song was one of the first hip hop songs I remember liking. In early elementary school I only listened to country music and oldies because that's what my parents listened to. N'Sync, Backstreet Boys, and Spice girls broadened my horizon's a little in 5th and 6th grade. Nelly takes me back to junior high dances. Yanno, platform sandals, belly baring tank tops, and partial cornrows. Anybody??
     
    I love when songs remind me of people, places, or time periods in my life. As I got to thinking, I came up with quite a few. Click on the playlist to listen as you read :)


    picture via pinterest

    I'm a Bitch, I'm a Lover- Alanis Morissette
    4th grade, I think. I thought this song was so taboo because it included the B-word. ha!
     
    Better Together- Jack Johnson
    Sophomore year of college. Was told by a guy that this song reminded me of him. I had never heard it before so I YouTubed it. I still remember listening to it for the first time and thinking of him.
     
    Wide Open Spaces- Dixie Chicks
    I sang this song along with 3 friends at my 6th grade recognition ("graduation" from elementary school). We also sang together at our 7th and 8th grade talent shows (One Voice by Billy Gilman and I Hope You Dance by LeAnn Womack). I think of those girls and our friendship every time I hear these songs. 
     
    Must be the Money (Ride Wit Me)-Nelly
    Yes, another Nelly song! I swam on a neighborhood swim team for 12 summers. One of my teammates/friends was a guy who had these huge headphones and would bring tons of CD's to the meets. In between races, we would all sit around, listen to music and play Indian poker with Cheez-Its. Good stuff.
     
    She's Got it All- Kenny Chesney 
    Back when AOL Instant Messanger was cool (ok, so a few years after it was popular, but I still had it), I had a boyfriend who put these lyrics on his AIM profile along with the date we started "going out". I couldn't see his profile because I had a different version than him, so I asked my friends to tell me what it said. Of course I was flattered and head over heels when I saw "She's got every quality from A all the way to Z. It's easy to see she's the perfect girl", obviously describing me ;-)
     
    Sugar, Sugar- The Archies
    My mom has this song on a record. When my sister and I were little, she would put it on and we would sing and dance around our living room. <3 
     
    Somethin' Like That- Tim McGraw
    In the 6th grade, my friends and I ruled the back of the bus. We were total rebels- switching seats while the bus was moving, eating, and singing at the top of our lungs. This was one of our songs of choice. Even though at one point I thought the words were "Hard don't forget somethin' like that" instead of "A heart don't forget somethin' like that", we still sounded pretty cool.

    picture via pinterest

    What songs take you back? Remind you of a time and place or friend of the past? 
    In my opinion, songs are just as powerful (and sometimes more so) as pictures. Memories I didn't even know I had surface when I listen to a song from years ago.
    :)
     

Total Pageviews